Today's Upbeat Authors topic is Finding a Balance in Life.
The things in life that require the most balancing can be divided into two categories: internal (heart, health, and mind) and external (work, social, family, and fun).
Maintaining a life balance is extremely important for happiness and well-being. Not having one can leave you feeling like you're drowning or flailing or so overwhelmed that you become paralyzed by all you need to accomplish or running from one thing to the next and multi-tasking to the point that you are neglecting your own needs. Those scenarios don't seem very happy or harmonious, do they? This is where balance comes in.
With the many different directions we're all pulled in, and with so many demands on our attention, it can be hard to find a balance.
Some steps that can help:
1. Take a break from social media, TV, internet, tablets, all electronics. Go off the grid.
2. Know that you can say "no" to things. If taking on an extra responsibility or event or project is going to be too much for you, it's really okay to turn it down. And, "no" in and of itself is a complete sentence. You don't need to explain your answer to anyone. If you're feeling guilty about saying no, think of it this way: You can't give from an empty vessel, right? Putting yourself first isn't selfish. You can't take care of anyone else if you're running on empty.
3. Cut the negative people out of your life, whether it's a frenemy, or someone online. Toxic people are detrimental to your mental health.
4. Make time for yourself that's strictly just "me time". This goes back to the empty vessel analogy. Take the time you need to replenish yourself, whether it's taking a walk, exercising, meditating, drawing, reading, (insert happy activity here), etc.
5. Spend time with the people who feed your soul. Family and friends are a source of strength.
6. Ask for help. You don't have to do everything alone. We wear so many hats that we often try to be a superhero and take it all on as a solo mission, but asking for help is a good thing. It lightens the load and allows you to breathe.
If you're feeling extremely overwhelmed or realizing that you are neglecting areas of your life that need attention, taking a step back to evaluate your life is vital to finding a solution. Making major changes can be hard and scary, but even small steps can be taken to help you find a better balance. Do whatever you can, large or small, to take control. It's worth it.